20 Reasons why De Kas is our favoritePosted: January 13, 2013
Joel and I have been fortunate enough to eat at some of the best restaurants in the world. We love eating out and it’s one of the reasons we moved to Paris. We would rather eat lentils and frozen veggies every day in order to have an occasional delicious meal out.
That said, we had high hopes when we booked our birthday lunch for De Kas. My Physical therapist in Paris is Dutch, cool, and loves food so we went entirely on his recommendation.
Our verdict? The best meal-experience of our life. See below.
1. When you arrive you walk over a bridge, through a park to the beautifully converted greenhouse.
2. They knew our names and knew that I had food allergies immediately. (from back when we placed reservation)
3. They had gluten-free bread ready for me.
4. Before bread they brought fantastic tapas: roasted beets and marinated olives.
5. The service was extremely prompt, friendly, but not too personal.
6. They only have one menu every day but easily accommodated my dietary restrictions.
7. The food is mostly grown in one of their two green houses. The food not grown in-house is sourced from local producers.
8. They share their garden’s bounty with their neighbors.
9. They let us tour the kitchen and meet the staff and chef.
10. The chef has cooked at Moosewood in New York.
11. They brought us house-dried rhubarb for our birthday.
12. They had an interesting and delicious Dutch wine on their list.
13. They gave us apples as we left.
14. The fennel appetizer was the best appetizer of my life.
15. The server took Joel to sample locally made liquors after our meal. He won’t stop talking about the Jenever.
16. They were so kind and kept mentioning our birthday.
17. They kept offering to take our photos.
18. The food was just unbelievably delicious.
19. It was affordable. Seriously.
20. The building, grounds, and style were clean comfortable and perfectly executed.
21. I couldn’t stop at 20. Despite the fact that it was a sunny day and we were sitting in a greenhouse the temperature was absolutely perfect thanks to a state of the art climate control system.
If you ever get the opportunity to go, take it. We would be back in a second if we could.